Friday, August 21, 2009

Fingers with extra hands

My editor sent my edits for The Christmas Present this week. No serious issues, which was great. I still have a bad case of the missing comma, but my next stuff should be better.

I actually read the chapter in the Holt Handbook on commas the other day. Doesn't that sound like fun?! I felt like I was back in freshman English from high school.
*Shhh! Don't tell anyone, but I actually like reading the Holt Handbook. I was flipping through and reading about semi-colons and dependent clauses, before I caught myself.

A couple of the edits made me laugh out loud. I had a love scene that had fingers with an extra hand and hands that didn't belong to any body.

How does that happen? Introductory phrases that don't agree with the subject.

Example: With his other hand, his fingers stroked her cheek. This actually says, His fingers with his other hand stroked her cheek.
Here's another: Leaning down, his warm breath caressed her lips. Actual meaning: His warm breath was leaning down caressing her lips.

So, I survived another round of edits from my editor with very minimal bruising. Fortunately her sense of humor shows in her comments, and she also gives praise peppered in her edits, which is much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment